Pintrest

Monday, January 21, 2013

Proper Planning Prevents....

There I was, cranking along.  Lower level road bed in, track going down - what progress!  I had a box car on the track to roll along and make sure everything was smooth, as the track was being nailed down.  Suddenly, I looked down....... Wow, that car is looking really tall.  I laid a piece of scrap foam across a couple of the upper deck supports and rolled the car under the foam......  That doesn't look good....  Really tight......  I grabbed both of my ready locos and checked them.  The GE C30-7 was even tighter than the box car.  Next, big boy, the EMD DD40AX.  Nope, it's just not going to work that way.  Apparently, I failed to take in account the additional height of the cork roadbed when I set the height for the upper deck supports.  Well, I think that may be considered a little set back and a HUGE lesson learned.  Time to cut some 1/4" shims for all the supports, rework two ramps and rework the side of the "mountain" as it meets the upper deck surface.......Definitely a one step forward - two step back moment.......


So, after some rework I ended up with Shim City.  Added 1/4" shims to all the upper deck supports:

That was the easy part.  Next, it was time to rework the ramps.  I found out that the Woodland Scenics foam cutter (hot wire) can actually be used as a "fixed" height cutter.  I set the wire height on the hoops, then feed a left over piece of tapered foam ramp through.  Ended up with a nice "cap" for the two ramps:

The only down side is that will add a little more elevation grade to the end of the ramps but I have good locos & the math still wasn't too crazy.  Only thing left is to putty & sand.

LARGE lesson learned but "raising the roof" made a big difference:



No comments:

Post a Comment