Pintrest

Monday, January 21, 2013

Bridging the Gap

I've mentioned before about the area where I will have a custom built curved bridge, but I also realized as I progressed with the initial building that a single Atlas Plate Girder Bridge was too short.  Two of them together were too long.  Hmmmm - easy day.  Break out the X-Acto razor saw & miter box.  This bridge will be right after then curved bridge and, since the track below is at a pretty acute angle, it needs to have enough length so that it clearly spans over the track below.


The nice thing I found was the track is not permanently fixed in the bridge.  It's a standard piece of 5" straight, pressed in with a couple snap clips to hold it in one place.  Easy day to remove and then cut the bridge down.  Once that was done, I glued them together and patched the gap at the bottom.


I got finished, checked the alignment and everything fit.  At that point my years of working with Charles Kendrick (my professional model builder buddy & friend of nearly 30 years) had the typical affect on me and I realized, this was just a space filler and would need to be redone.  A few of the instant things I found wrong:

1.  Why in the world did I not cut equal distance of each bridge end so the joint would be in the center?
2.  Hard to see in the pics, but these little bridges actually have rivet and panel details.  Wouldn't it have made sense to match those up?

As I said, it's a learning process and I absolutely learned on this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment