Pintrest

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Benchwork - Seriously, it doesn't fit?

Layout complete - time for benchwork.  A quick trip, OK a couple trips, to Lowe's and I was ready to go.  I'm fortunate to have a great wife who, over the years, has gifted me with multiple tools.  It was definitely nice to have a chop saw, table saw, jig saw and Ryobi lithium-ion battery powered hand tools.  XTrackCAD also has a benchwork feature so I had everything laid out before the first board was cut. I built the entire set up in our garage.  All 8 legs were bolted to the table top, along with their diagonal bracing.  From start to finish, it was about a good 5-6 hours.



I was lucky that our son Josh was home on leave (USN) and was available to help move the table top up the stairs to the spare bedroom.  At least, that was the plan.  At the top of the stairs, 10 minutes of multiple maneuvering revealed that there was no damn way the 8' long table was going to make the 90 degree turn at the top of the stairs.  Back down to the garage.  Day 2 resulted in partial disassemble, cutting the top, reworking the framing and reassembling into two halves.  At least they were an easy move upstairs.


Since we know we'll be in this house for at least a year, a wasn't too concerned about moving forward with the layout but I did split the foam at the table joint.  The cut out plywood became the upper deck.  Thanks to my buddy Dan for his left over spray adhesive, the foam work went relatively quick.


Also learned that the insulation foam has a film facing.  Fortunately, I split the 4' x 8' piece at Lowe's in order to get it into my SUV.  Sheila & I were able to peel the foam so any paint should stick.  Now that the benchwork and foam were down, it's time to start laying some track out.

No comments:

Post a Comment