Pintrest

Friday, January 18, 2013

DCC Decoder Dilemma

So one of my great Christmas presents from Sheila was a Kato C30-7 loco in the Santa Fe Warbonnet paint scheme.  It was "DCC Ready" and she got me the Digitrax decoder to go with it.  I watched Mike Fifer's How to install a Digitrax DN163K0E in the new Kato E5A video, figuring that it was reasonably similar.  Actually, it wasn't; however, the basic concept seemed to be the same.

I pulled the shell off the Kato and studied the interior along with the instructions that came with the Digitrax decoder.  For those not familiar with DCC (Digital Command Control) on train layouts, the best example I heard was that DC is like a slot car track while DCC is like radio controlled cars.  Here's what the decoder actually looks like:

So, I pulled the spacer out, added the Kapton tape (a special high temp electrical tape) - the key here is I installed the tape where I THOUGHT it should be.  I reassembled the loco and fired up the DCC system for a road test.  First, I was able to rename the loco address, which told me that the system was communicating.  Next, I released the brake and applied throttle.  Nothing........ well, not really nothing - I heard the engine making the typical electrical whirring noise - but no movement.

Now, I've mentioned him a couple times and I can't say enough about Mike Fifer of Fifer Hobby.  He is truly someone who is dedicated to the hobby.  I had emailed him before I started and he gave me some advise regarding my old DC locos.  When my install stalled (pun intended) I sent him a couple pics of my work:



You can see the Kapton tape as the yellow bands at about the 1/3 points.  Well, Mike wrote back and said: "Just based on the pictures the tape is in the wrong place and you may have it stuck to the flywheels, not letting the motor turn. You need tape on the frame under the motor tabs."  I did some more reading and found out that the Kapton actually insulates the decoder chip from heat build up from the motor and the chassis.  So I cut the tape back, put the loco back on the track, released the brake and off it went!  Not to mention, this is my first Kato loco & this thing is sweet! Smooth and silent.  Here's the final outcome:




1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much Mike and Robin and I are glad we can help.
    I love the page!

    Mike Fifer

    ReplyDelete