Pintrest

Sunday, March 17, 2013

To Rework or Not To Rework, that is the question....

I've mentioned before that this layout is based on the Atlas Atlantic Longhaul Lines and I read somewhere that John Sheridan (probably one of the foremost noted experts on model railroad layouts) had input in the design.  In the notched area, things were bent fairly tight.  The locos made their way around pretty well but there was an occasional disagreement as they tracked through the turnout heading into the reversing loop.

While installing my last turnout servo I managed to burn it out.  Great.  I went to the local chain hobby store and they had the same servo for $17.99, which I could get online for $3.95.  I'm all for supporting the local shops but that was a little ridiculous.  I went ahead and ordered a replacement online (along with a spare) which provided me with some down time in construction.

Here's the area that just wasn't tracking (OK - I know I've used that pun before but it works!):
Turnout 2 on the left and turnout 3 on the right - connected with an 11" radius
Fortunately, I still had some spare track pieces and I decided to look at some options for this area.  After some trial and error, I found what looked to be a much smoother solution:
Rework concept for the "Notch" area
So after several reworks, Sheila pointed out that the locos were working fine through that area so why mess with it?  Well, I knew it just didn't feel right.  So, earlier today the Yorktown M & S had a little demolition work take place:
Demo areas are the blue foam showing through the brown background
Demolition required the removal of two turnout servos, two power feeders and about 8' of previously "ready to go" track.  All in all, I think it was a good decision and things will ultimately run smoother.

More lessons learned - mostly the hard way.....



No comments:

Post a Comment